Save 20% off! Join our newsletter and get 20% off right away!

South Africa Jails 2 Undocumented Foreigners, Arrests 17 Others in Fresh Crackdown


  • South Africa police welcomed the conviction of two undocumented foreign nationals sentenced to over 6 years in prison for infrastructure damage
  • Authorities arrested three foreign nationals in Musina for dealing in counterfeit clothing, with two Ethiopians and a Senegalese national remanded in custody
  • A separate operation on the N4 Road led to the arrest of 13 undocumented foreign nationals and seizure of 438 counterfeit items

South Africa’s police have welcomed the conviction and sentencing of two undocumented foreign nationals who were handed a combined term of six years and three months in prison for damaging essential infrastructure at Three Sisters, and for being in the country without valid documentation.

Authorities confirmed the ruling late Friday and warned that more offenders would face prosecution.

South African police welcomed the conviction of two undocumented foreign nationals
South African police welcome the conviction of two undocumented foreign nationals. Photo: Getty
Source: Getty Images

Once the two convicts complete their sentences, police said they would be transferred to the Department of Home Affairs for deportation to their countries of origin, BBC reports.

Read also

Breaking: Tension as ISIS’ attempt to bomb US city foiled

“The court also ordered that upon completion of their respective sentences, both accused be handed over to the Department of Home Affairs, Immigration Services, for deportation to their respective countries of citizenship,” police said.

Arrests Over Counterfeit Goods in Musina

In a separate development on Thursday, August 20, 2026, South Africa police arrested three male foreign nationals in the Musina area in connection with the possession of and dealing in counterfeit clothing.

The suspects, comprising two Ethiopian nationals and one Senegalese national, were charged under the Counterfeit Goods Act 37 of 1997 and appeared before a magistrate’s court on the same day. They were remanded in custody pending further investigation and a bail application.

A fourth Ethiopian national, arrested for allegedly attempting to bribe police officers, was granted bail and is expected back in court on Monday, August 24, 2026.

Police seized counterfeit goods worth thousands of rands from the suspects, along with a substantial amount of cash tied to the bribery attempt.

Operation Basadi Nets 13 on N4 Road

Also on August 20, a police team operating under Operation Basadi set up a roadblock on the N4 Road near the Nkomazi Toll Plaza, leading to the arrest of 13 undocumented foreign nationals. Officers also raided shops suspected of trading in counterfeit and illicit goods during the same operation.

Read also

Xenophobia: Nigerian woman recounts gunpoint robberies after 13 years in South Africa

A total of 438 items were seized, including cosmetics, mobile phone accessories, watches, toys, and cigarettes.

The latest operations follow a July 2026 crackdown in Gauteng province, where police arrested over 1,200 suspects under Operation Shanela, including 159 undocumented foreign nationals found to be in breach of South Africa’s Immigration Act.

Anti-Immigration Group Sets New September Deadline

Meanwhile, the March and March movement, an anti-immigration group that has been staging protests since April 2026, has announced September 30 as a new deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave South Africa.

The announcement comes two months after its June 30 nationwide protest, during which members marched through the streets demanding that foreign nationals vacate occupied buildings and that the government tighten immigration enforcement.

The group said the September protest would carry a new theme, calling on African heads of state to “fetch their people.”

Legit.ng has previously reported on the rising tensions between South Africa and Nigeria over the treatment of Nigerian nationals in the country, including deaths linked to xenophobic incidents and a dispute over the repatriation of citizens.

Read also

Denmark publishes names, photos of 3 US religious preachers banned from entering country

FG warns Nigerians in South Africa

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that Nigeria’s diplomatic mission in South Africa had cautioned its nationals following unrest in the Eastern Cape province.

The advisory followed protests over a disputed traditional ceremony, following reports of a coronation involving the Igbo community in the region.

Source: Legit.ng





Source link